Loads of Learned Lumber

Monday, May 16, 2022

Jonathan Balcombe, _Super Fly_

 I WAS SUFFICIENTLY enchanted by Sheldrake's Entangled Life to attempt a deeper dive into pop biology books. This one arrived as a Christmas present, a happy instance of a holiday present rhyming with one's current interests.

Super Fly is devoted to flying insects, a class of being much larger and more varied than I had any idea. It is witty, informative, and well-written...it does suffer in comparison to Enchanted Life, though, I would say, but that's a high bar. 

Still, pretty darned informative. Chapter 3, about flying insect intelligence (capable of quite a bit more than I expected, so far as memory and problem-solving go) and Chapter 8, about flying insect reproduction (a good deal weirder than I expected) were especially illuminating.

No comments: