Loads of Learned Lumber

Monday, July 18, 2016

Robyn Schiff, _A Woman of Property_, again

SO...I DID, in fact, do a blog-post review of this for a classier blog, and it will likely appear in due course, so I will not pre-empt myself here, but I'm wondering about the reference to Ramon Fernandez, whom the speaker seems to be addressing at one point in the book's final poem, "The Houselights."

Is this the French critic Ramon Fernandez (1894-1944), onetime communist a collaborator with the Nazis in the final phase of his career, invoked by Wallace Stevens in "The Idea of Order at Key West"?

Or the Philippino basketball player that Wikipedia assumes must be the one you want to know more about if you search for "Ramon Fernandez"?

Not at all sure how good my chances of getting an answer to this question are.

No comments: